Sunday, January 25, 2009

MOLT: Beginnings

It takes as long as it takes. - Jan Hyatt

MOLT began in October of 2007. Normally, I have a modest window of time within which to create work prior to its premiere: in most cases about three months. In this case, that window was thrown wide, so much so that it shattered completely. My initial thought was, "This is great! What a luxury to have TIME!" More on that later...

We began with improvisation; some days I would participate, but most of the time I directed. I have truly enjoyed witnessing this group improvise...even after watching them again and again, both in rehearsal and later on video, to prise from the hours of movement the kernels which we later developed into entire sections. Much of what the dancers did was extracted intact; still more has been developed and taken us in new directions.

During those initial months I was astonished, frustrated (usually because I was watching and not doing), amused, pleased, and otherwise moved to respond. And so the dance grew.

NOTE: The process began with Jenita McGowan, Carla Monzo, Sherri Mills, Amy Notley, and Shanna Sheline.

The process continues with Amy Compton-Schulz, Marissa Glorioso, Jenita, Sherri, and Shanna.

More on that later.
Joan

MOLT photo by Scott Radke: Amy & Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment