Monday, August 24, 2009

Dance Intensive Wrap Up

The Allegheny Summer Dance Intensive finished up on Friday. Shanna, Sherri and I had a total of 31 students, up from the usual 16-18. I am so glad that we did not limit attendance to a smaller number. I met a lot of new people, worked again with returning students, and even taught a young man whom I first met when he was 11 (he originated a role in a dance that Holly Labbe Cole and I choreographed in 2001).

One of the wonderful things about Allegheny College is that, from the first (way back in 1988), I became part of a community, versus a class. I hope the incoming/returning students have a similar experience. I appreciate being able to meet the place and the people (what and who they are now) with who I am now. There is certainly a lot of nostalgia connected to the College for me - I began dancing there, I met my husband there, I learned from so many wonderful people who changed my life - but that relationship continues to evolve...so while I continue to dance there, meet my husband there (usually for an Antaeus Dance concert), and learn from great people, it is never the same road twice. For that I am grateful.

Joan

Photo of 2009 Allegheny Summer Dance Participants by Scott Choffel

No comments:

Post a Comment